09 November, 2011

Review of Panorama 3 at BAF 2011

Guest blogger: Zara Hussain, Bradford College Animation Student

I have to say, this year the Bradford Animation Festival team have really outdone themselves with the animations chosen for the Panorama screenings; full of exciting, heart warming, hilarious films which refuse to let your mind wander.

The Man Who Was Afraid of Falling

Sadly I missed Panorama 1 due to the Motion Capture Workshop, but I did get to see the Panoramas 2 and 3. I'll only be telling you about the third since my fellow bloggers from the College will be writing about the other two.

On the Rails

Panorama 3 went beyond my expectations. If allowed, I would have hugged that cinema screen!

My favourites from the screening would have to be The Man Who Was Afraid of Falling, On the Rails and Out on a Limb - traditional and beautifully animated - quite inspiring. Their stories are unique and manage to muddle your mind with so many feelings, you don't know where to start.

Out on a Limb
  • The Man Who Was Afraid of Falling: I found this short clip incredibly humorous, but at the same time I felt somewhat sympathetic toward the old man and his fear of heights.
  • Out on a Limb: By far the most original animation style. Leaving faint outlines everywhere the birds fly, creating a trail. Beautifully animated, also very funny.
  • On the Rails - Very heart warming, watching the life of an old man as he travels on a train. Seeing his memories gives you a sense of his upsetting past.
Watch these films for yourself if you can.